McDonald's Philippines' "BF/GF" ranks 15th in 2011 Global Social Video Ads Chart
GLOBAL - DECEMBER 2011: The innocence of childhood coupled with a complaint from the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) is the unlikely formula for the 15th most shared branded content in the world for 2011. Leo Burnett Manila's "BF/GF", an adaptation of McDonald's material that was first aired in India, had over 750,000 shares online as of the end of November, landing it a spot on Unruly Media's Viral Video Chart. The 2011 Top 20 Global Social Video Ads Chart is a partnership with social media news site Mashable.
McDonald's pulled out the ad but stressed that it was not because of CBCP pressure, but the TVC enjoys a second life online. It is the only Asian video on the list.
Taking the top spot is the Volkswagen’s "The Force" featuring a little Darth Vader. Created by LA agency Deutsch, it broke records to become the most shared branded video of all time with its 4.71 million social media shares and 46.05 million views since pre-Super Bowl release. Other brands appearing in the top 20 include T-Mobile, Kia, Nissan, Nestle, Carlsberg and Pepsi.
One of the most significant trends to come out of the 2011 end-of-year data was the staggering increase in the number of social video shared online. In 2011, the top 20 ads generated 25 million shares, a nearly five-fold increase from 2010 levels. However, the ratio of views to shares from 2011 to 2010 is even more interesting: In 2010, 1 in 39 people who viewed video content went on to share it online. This year, the ratio was 10 to 1.
“The fact that the number one ranking video this year earned close to eight times more shares than last year’s winning ad is just further proof of the rise of the epic ad in 2011,” said Unruly COO Sarah Wood. “More brands are realizing the potential of social video to build a high-impact, long-term emotional connection with their audience.”
The full ranking (with data collected until November 21, 2011) is as follows:
1. Volkswagen: The Force: Volkswagen Commercial - 4,713,179 shares
2. DC Shoes: Ken Block's Gymkhana Four; The Hollywood Megamercial - 2,028,238 shares
3. T-Mobile: Angry Birds Live - 1,783,607 shares
4. T-Mobile: Royal Wedding - 1,733,419 shares
5. Kia: Party Rock Anthem-Kia Soul Hamster Commercial - 1,424,110 shares
6. 20th Century Fox: Ape With A20K-47 - 1,132,201 shares
7. David Cornfield Melanoma Fund: Dear 16 Year Old - 1,072,004 shares
8. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reveal Trailer - 1,062,829 shares
9. Nissan: Poneis Malditos - 956,661 shares
10. Nestle: Contrex - Ma Contrexperience -97s - 950,988 shares
11. Official Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - The Vet Vs The Noob - 922,218 shares
12. Carlsberg Stunt with Bikers in Cinema - 899,550 shares
13. Official Ojai Valley Taxidermy TV Commercial - 830,036 shares
14. Red Bull: The Art of FLIGHT - Snowboarding film trailer featuring Travis Rice - 810,453 shares
15. McDonald’s Philippines New Commercial 2011 "BFGF" - 756,141 shares
16. Channel 4: Danny MacAskill - Industrial Revolutions - 696,190 shares
17. Trace Urban: The most amazing beat box video ever! - 687,528 shares
18. Pepsi: Unbelievable David Beckham - 543,812 shares
19. Samsung: Unleash Your Fingers - 542,851 shares
20. Westfield Stratford City: 100 YEARS / STYLE / EAST LONDON - 529,832 shares
Rankings were based on the number of shares on Twitter, Facebook and the blogosphere as opposed to the number of views. As such, it is a measure of the ad’s virality, as opposed to a measure of eyeballs, ranking ads by the volume of active pass-on rather than the more passive metric of video consumption.
Comments on this article:
Copyright 2006-2010 Sanserif, Inc. | Contact Us