NEW YORK, USA — The One Club for Creativity kicked off Creative Week 2023 by honoring winning schools and students from around the world in the global Young Ones Student Awards 2023 ceremony at Sony Hall in New York.
Young Ones is one of the world’s most acclaimed competitive showcases for advertising, digital communication and design students. The program offers four separate competitions:
- Young Ones ADC, offering students the chance to earn an ADC Cube by competing in many of the same disciplines and categories as the prestigious ADC Annual Awards;
- Young Ones One Show Brief competition, which tasks a team of students with creating work for a specific client with the chance to earn a coveted One Show Pencil;
- Young Ones Portfolio competition, where students submit six to 15 projects and have it judged as a representation of their entire body of work by industry professionals;
- Young Ones TDC, where student entries in typography, lettering, and type design can win a Certificate of Typographic Excellence from the Type Directors Club, part of The One Club for Creativity.
Based on cumulative points for all awards won by a school’s students in this year’s competition, ArtCenter College of Design Pasadena was crowned Young Ones 2023 School of the Year, marking the second year in a row the school took the top honor.
The One Club Global College Rankings can be viewed here; an archive of all Young Ones 2023 winners can be viewed here.
Top winners by competition this year are as follows:
Young Ones ADC 2023 (22 Gold Cubes, 29 Silver, 38 Bronze, 164 Merit)
Brigham Young University Provo led the way the year with seven Young Ones ADC Gold Cubes, including two each for “Dream Job,” “Girl Scouts – Femininity,” and “We Don’t Judge, We Drive.” ArtCenter College of Design Pasadena received three Golds, including two for “Bandai Gunpia.”
With two Golds each are Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg Ludwigsburg for “Mother Nature’s Power,” and University of Television and Film Munich for “Generation Sitting.”
Single Young Ones ADC Gold Cubes went to Korea National University of Arts Seoul, Kyonggi University Dongjak-gu, Miami Ad School Europe Berlin, National Taiwan University of Arts Taipei City, School of Visual Arts New York, University of Southern California Los Angeles, and University of the Arts London.
Young Ones One Show 2023 Brief competition (9 Gold Pencils, 10 Silver, 16 Bronze, 94 Merit)
- ArtCenter College of Design Pasadena “Walk The Talk” for Spotify in Experiential
- ArtCenter College of Design Pasadena “Pairless Parts” for Verizon in Experiential
- Berghs School of Communication Stockholm “Closer To Tato” for Spotify in Integrated
- Escola CUCA São Paulo “Fortnitemare” for PETA in Digital, Online & Mobile
- Miami Ad School Europe Berlin “Spotify Libraries of Love” for Spotify in Out of Home
- Miami Ad School Europe Berlin “Spotify Libraries of Love” for Spotify in Print
- Mohawk College Hamilton (Ontario) “She’s Back, Bitch. Period.” for Activision Blizzard / Diablo IV in Integrated
- School of Visual Arts New York “All Pain Sounds the Same” for PETA in Out of Home
- The Pub School Guayaquil “CelebriTales AI” for Spotify in Integrated
Young Ones 2023 Portfolio competition
There were 33 students from 14 schools who were winners in this year’s Portfolio competition, as follows:
- ArtCenter College of Design Pasadena: Cathy Xiao, Soyeon Kim, Sarah Oh, Yan Yan
- Brigham Young University Provo: Gwynie Bahr, Hannah Gulbrandsen, Morgan Capener, Jeremy Holbrook, Taylor Ballard, Remington Butler
- FIT Advertising & Digital Design New York: Kate Ma, Mariko Dreifuss
- Glasgow School of Art Glasgow: XINRAN SHI
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge: Reina Mun
- Universidade Estácio de Sá Petrópolis (Brazil): Matheus Loretti
- Miami Ad School Europe Berlin: Lisa Glonti
- Miami Ad School Madrid Madrid: Ilu Shilpakar Sancha
- Nanyang Technological University Singapore: Chow Zheng Kai
- National Taipei University of Education Taipei: Hsueh Kai-Chieh, Chang Hsun-Yu, Lin Zhong-Wei, Chen Yu-Ting
- Ringling College of Art and Design Sarasota: Josh Young, Steven Dvornik
- Savannah College of Art and Design Savannah: Harshitha Suresh, Isabelle K Winarto, Liyue Bai, Tiffany Tedy, Wanyi Ma, Yuuki Shimizu
- The Pub School Bogotá: David Romero Alvarez
- University of Applied Sciences Salzburg: Julian Frener, Felix Foltas
Young Ones TDC 2023 competition
There were 52 winners of TDC Certificates from 21 schools for the Young Ones TDC competition. Students at ArtCenter College of Design Pasadena topped the list with 14 wins, followed by School of Visual Arts New York with nine.
A showcase of all Young Ones 2023 winners can be viewed here.
Young Ones is celebrated annually during The One Club’s Creative Week with the goal of inspiring and nurturing the next generation of advertising professionals. Events during the week present an invaluable opportunity for college students and graduating seniors to network with top agency professionals, receive feedback on their portfolios, experience the industry’s best work and more.
“PETA is thrilled to have teamed up with The One Club for Creativity so that talented minds could design campaigns that challenge speciesism, a belief in human supremacy that causes violence, disrespect, and suffering to other animals,” said PETA Senior Director Danielle Katz. “This year’s stellar contestants are encouraging everyone to leave animals off their plates and out of their closets.”
This year’s Young Ones was made possible in part from support by Young Ones One Show 2023 Brief competition sponsors Activision Blizzard for Diablo IV, PETA, Spotify and Verizon.