A collaboration between France and the Philippines that marks the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations. Taverne Gutenberg, a unique art center like no other is fast becoming a pace-setter in the art scene in Lyon, France. Founded in 2015 by a French-Filipina designer Maïa d’Aboville and her globe-trotting French artist husband Henri Lamy, Taverne Gutenberg has become a renowned creative hub that serves as an art residency, gallery, art studios and bar.
This quest for multi-cultural creativity and synergy is propelling Taverne Gutenberg to go international. And what be er country to start than the Philippines, Maïa d’Aboville’s beloved home country where she has deep roots from her childhood, a country that is also cherished by her artist husband Henri Lamy. In October–November 2017, Taverne Gutenberg will bring its 4 Lyon-based international artists to the Philippines for an intensive 6 to 8 weeks of art residency program. Their activities will be centered in Poblacion, the old district of Makati which has been transformed from a red light district to a wholesome and vibrant neighborhood rich in innovative artistic initiatives and exemplified by its partner Pineapple Lab where the opening exhibit and press conference will be held. As major sponsor, the Z Hostel will provide the visiting artists with free room accommodation and art space. The artists will transform this art space into an artistic environment, painting monumental outdoor and collaborative murals with local artists where the actual creative process of art will be open to the public. This will give the public the opportunity to directly interact with the artist at work. Each week, the visiting artists will have close encounter with a Filipino artist in his or her own studio where there will be a real exchange of ideas and learning experience from their different cultural perspectives.
Key dates include:
- Opening on Wednesday on October 25, 2017, 3pm, at the Pineapple Lab, 6071 Palma Street, Makati.
- Art auction, (date to be decided,) at the Casa de Memoria, 156 Jupiter St., Makati.
- Exhibition on Thursday, November 16, 2017, at the Qube Gallery, Crossroads, Banilad, Cebu City.
- Group exhibition on Wednesday, November 22, 2017, at the Alliance Française, 209 Nicanor Garcia St. Makati.
- Street-children’s exhibition on Wednesday, 11/29/2017, at the Museo Pambata, Roxas Boulevard corner South Drive Manila.
Taverne Gutenberg is located at 5 rue de l’Épée, 69003, Lyon, France.