MANILA, PHILIPPINES — For the first time in its run, the splendid and extravagant Italian Design Day (IDD) was celebrated in the Philippines. Hosted by luxurious Italian furniture showroom HomeStudio, this year’s IDD highlighted sustainable and environment-friendly designs with the theme “The quality that lights up. The energy of design for people and the environment.” A gathering day enriched by creativity with purpose, the celebration became a platform for sharing and learning quality designs that matter.
IDD 2023 was also in time with the 23rd anniversary of Homestudio. Founded by Grant Lim, the showroom started as an importer of Italian tiles in 1999, eventually venturing into furniture sets. Located in Connecticut St. Greenhills, San Juan, Homestudio is home to a collection of curated globally crafted and designed home living spaces, and the host of IDD 2023.
Renowned designers from the fields of Product and Interior Design, Fashion and Architecture led three masterclasses in the day activities sponsored by the Embassy of Italy in Manila. Italian multidisciplinary designer Ilaria Bianchi shared her processes of designing and crafting her widely recognized works. In her masterclass entitled “Designing and deciphering the language of the objects,” Ilaria explained her system of creation and how the creations had a language that reflects its story.
Filipino fashion designer and DOST Consultant Christine Cheryl Benet also facilitated a masterclass about fashion in “Global Futures: Moving Towards Sustainable Fashion.” Discussing global fashion trends, the class stressed manufacturing and merchandise considerations, and their effects on the sustainability of designs.
Lastly, multi-awarded Italian architect and businessman Romolo Nati talked about passive green cities and how their architecture designs in Italpinas Development Corporation have delivered sustainable buildings in emerging cities across the Philippines. Sharing their creation processes and technicalities in designing, the masterclasses were attended by students and faculties from various universities and colleges, equipping themselves with new learnings and approaches to designing.
Culminating the IDD 2023 was an evening gathering where 23 distinguished designers from different fields were recognized for excellence and impact in the industry, especially in Filipino craftsmanship. Organized by events management group 2Lives Creatives, the awarding ceremony was headlined by the Ambassador of Italy to the Philippines, His Excellency Marco Clemente, and San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora, and it was filled with socialization and sharing, all for the causes of environment-friendly arts. The night was served with delectable Italian food and beverages from renowned Chef Margarita Fores and Cibo, with music from classical string quartet Metro Music Strings.
IDD 2023 awardees and their respective fields are:
- Raquel Florendo – President of the Council of Interior Design Educators
- Chona Ponce – Head of the Philippine Schools of Architecture Association
- Royal Pineda – Principal Architect of Royal Pineda+
- Jason Buensalido – Principal Architect and Chief Design Ambassador of Buensalido Architects and Barchan
Urban and Landscape Planning
- Dan Lichauco – Managing Partner of Archion Architects
- Paolo Alcazaren – Principal of PGAA Creative Design
- William Ti Jr. – Principal Architect of WTA Architecture and Design Studio
Industrial and Product Design
- Rita Nazareno – Co-Founder of Nazareno Lichauco and Founder of Zacarias1925
- Gab Lichauco – Founder of Nazareno Lichauco
- Milo Naval – Founder of Evolve Designs Inc. and OMO Furniture
- Leeroy New – Multidisciplinary contemporary artist
- Dom Galicia – Principal Architect of Dominic Galicia Architects
- Joel Rico – President of Archeology + Heritage Co.
- Gerard Lico – Principal of Arch Lico
- Reese Fernandez Ruiz – Founder of Rags2Riches
- Rio Cuervo – Founder of RIOTaso Clothing
- Prince Ventura – Chief Executive Officer of Wear Forward
- Theresa Arigo – Country Coordinator of Fashion Revolution Philippines
- Richard Garcia – President of The United Architects of the Philippines
- Ivy Almario – President of Philippine Institute of Interior Designers
- Ilaria Bianchi
- Romolo Nati
- Christine Cheryl Benet
On its promising Philippine debut, the Italian Design Day was closed with a night filled with music and passion for a positive impact on people and the environment through design.