Over the years, sportswear brand Nike has solidified its foothold as one of those at the forefront in representing athletes all over the world. The brand’s #DreamCrazy campaign built together with well renowned agency Weiden+Kennedy was predicted as a strong contender to watch out for since the short list for Cannes Lions 2019 was released, and so far predictions have been on point as the duo bags the Grand Prix award for Outdoor Lions.
The Outdoor Lions is a category that is dedicated to ideas that engage “in the field”, or simply put, makes great use of public spaces to inspire and communicate with the intended audience.
The #DreamCrazy campaign, which featured football star Colin Kaepernick along with video snippets of other famous athletes as well as casual sports enthusiasts as well as captivating posters of Kaepernick embodied what the award is about — “Elevate the place your at,” as Grey Global Worldwide Chief Creative Officer and Outdoor Lions Jury President John Patroulis said in his message about the track.
“As our human experiences become more and more individual, staring into screens customized to only us, this is one of the last places we create for people to experience as a group. Which carries with it the responsibility to make where you’re at, somehow, better: through entertainment, utility, beauty, insight, craft, emotion.”
Watch the awarding ceremony here:
Gold Lion awards were also given to a number of campaigns, including the following:
- “Bird’s Eye View”, “Flaming Serve”, “Mountain of Success” and “Triple Crown” by TBWA\CHIAT\DAY, New York for Adidas
- “Signs of Love” by TBWA\Melbourne Australia for ANZ Bank
- “Koshogo” by Leo Burnett Moscow Russia for Kloop
- “Billie Jean King Your Shoes” by TBWA\CHIAT\DAY, New York for Adidas
- “The Fake News Stand” by TBWA\CHIAT\DAY, New York for Columbia Journalism Review
- “Broadway the Rainbow” by DDB Chicago for Skittles
- “Hidden Flag” by LOLA MULLENLOWE, Madrid for FELGTB
- “Souvenirs de Paris” by MARCEL, Paris for Centre Pompidou
Check out the full list of winners here:
Main Image from Marian Brannelly via Cannes Lions 2019